With fuel prices continually fluctuating toward the highest they have been in the past several months, it’s good to be armed with information to help reduce your trips to the gas station. Your vehicle knowledge and driving habits can be powerful tools in helping your maximize your fuel efficiency.
Below are a few tips to help keep your gas tank fuller for longer:
- Make sure you have properly inflated tires. Underinflated tires strain fuel economy up to 25%. Keep tires from being overinflated as well as this isn’t efficient either.
- Reduce drag. A roof luggage rack, whether it is loaded or empty, increases aerodynamic drag. Overcoming air resistance uses about half your vehicle’s energy, therefore making it work harder and burn more fuel.
- Utilize cruise control. Cruise control keeps driving speeds steady and reduces the waste of fuel needed to accelerate.
- Avoid idling. Keeping an engine idle for too long wastes more fuel than turning off the vehicle and starting it again.
- Adopt good driving habits. Avoid hard and fast accelerations and keep a low speed during the warm-up period.
Don’t forget, the less you drive, the less you’ll spend on gasoline. Plan ahead to combine errands or carpool if possible. Keeping your vehicle well maintained is also a way to save money at the pump. Visit our service department, http://www.southhillsaudi.com/service/index.htm, for all of your vehicle maintenance needs.